Sunday, February 15, 2009

Arlo's Million Dollar Question

This week Arlo asked me a question that really has no decent answer for a child. I don't want to scare him out of his mind.



"Mom? Why do grown-ups have guns?" (He has been thinking a lot about an armored car we saw while shopping one day. He noticed the guy carrying the money had a gun. I think he was under the impression only cops have guns.)



Oh man buddy. Next question.



"Do they ever shoot kids?"



Answer: Absolutely not.



He is not convinced. I figure it is only a matter of time before he has evidence of my lie. Although we don't watch the news, so maybe it will take a little while for him to stumble onto the horrifying truth.



We have chatted about the shape of bullets, and if they are sharp. I didn't sugar coat the reality of guns and how they work, wouldn't want him to be naiive should he ever cross paths with a gun that is not properly stored away at someone's house. He,s wondering if it hurts to get the bullets taken out of you. For now, he's satisfied- but he is still pondering this one- he asks related questions daily (well, does it hurt to get shot by a cannon? but the balls are round! but I'm really strong!).



Can't he ask me some questions about Dora or Handy Manny or something?

No comments: